School's Out for the Summer...Or Not

Things are starting to slow down for our schooling now that May is here.  Because I am a part of the Schoolhouse Review Crew we will be continuing some lessons over the summer, but we will not be on a full day lesson plan.  I will only be working on review material as well as math.  Gess really needs help with math.  Our participation in the summer reading program really seems to be enough to keep her reviewed in all of her reading and English skills.

This weekend Gess' brother will be graduating from College.  We are so proud of him and we are all anxious to see him receive his Bachelor's degree.  The highest degree we have in our household is an Associates of Art so that is exciting.  He has two plans for continuing on with graduate school.  We should hear any day if he gets the one he most wants.  I am praying God will direct Him in all of that.

Gess' piano recital will be the following week.  This will be her second year.  I am told she will get to play three songs and even sing along with one of them! It's her favorite one titled "Party Cat."

This summer Gess will be going off to camp by herself for the first time ever.  If you have kept up with my blog you know that I usually accompany her to church camp as her sponsor.  This year, she has the opportunity to go to a camp that is strictly for people with special needs.  I am very excited, and a bit anxious but I have heard nothing but great things about it and know people who have relatives that absolutely love it!  There will be a one-to-one counselor and camper ratio which has also eased my nerves somewhat.  Gesserine however, is very excited about going without her parents!

One thing is for sure, while I will worry while Gess is away at camp, my husband and I will enjoy having the house all to ourselves for an entire week!!  Since Gess has been born that hasn't happened, EVER!   The most we were without kids was for a couple of days.  This will be relaxing, if I can get past the fact that my baby girl is somewhere in the world without anyone she knows!!

At church we will be holding a Sports Camp instead of Vacation Bible School.  I may have mentioned it last year but it happened the same week my new grand-baby was born so I missed most of it myself.  This time I should be there helping and hopefully will get a few pictures to share.  It will be a sad time for me as it will be Gess' last year to participate.  These things are for kids 4-12 years old and Gess will be 13 in October!  We have many milestones ahead!

Of course the rest of the summer will consist of lots of time spent at the pool among other fun outdoor adventures.  I will share those plus any educational activities we encounter.  It's a great time for field trips!

When school begins in the fall we will begin a new educational experience by participating in our local homeschool co-op.  I had been interested before but wasn't sure how much of a time investment it would take or how Gess would do.  We went to the open house last month and loved it.  I can't wait to begin. They meet twice a month which suits me just right.  I think weekly is way too much for me right now.

Well, that is what will be happening with us this summer.  What about you?  Will you be doing school?  Taking a break?  What trips and adventures do you have planned?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printable Family Chore Chart

Learning the 10 Commandments

Explaining Baptism to Kids