Summer Math - Cooking

Since Gess has special needs we really focus on life skills math. So this summer, instead of just doing "math" we are making sure we do fun stuff that involves math. Part of that includes cooking!

Gess loves to help in the kitchen but now that she is almost 14 I am trying to make sure she starts doing things more on her own. This summer we are focusing on following a recipe. To help with that I got her some easy to read measuring cups and spoons.


I really don't like the plastic ones because I know that the numbers will wash off soon but stainless steel ones are hard to read.Still, these will work for now. I think I will order the Cake Boss ones soon as they look really easy to use.


So far we have baked some cakes. I tried to really let Gess take control of that one!


The only thing I did was help her scrape the batter out of the bowl and even out the pan once she poured it in. I was very proud of her. Oh and the cake was so good I caught her sneaking some of it.


Then she helped me make the batter and filling for my Blintzes that we made to celebrate Pentecost (Shavuot). We used the recipe from Food Network - Blueberry Blintzes but I used raspberries instead. This was my first attempt at making them and I was thrilled with the results!! The helpful tips from the recipe really work!


 Anyway, we will be doing a lot more cooking this summer. It will be a fun way to practice math and reading by learning how to follow a recipe. To help a child with special need I use utensils easy to read and use, print out the instructions in a large font so it is easy to read or have her use a magnifying glass. Either way we have fun and the food is, as my little chef would say, "quite tasty!"


Comments

Bea said…
I Know I'm totally late posting a reply, but life gets in the way! Check Farberware measuring cups and spoons. The measurements are STAMPED into the plastic. They are easier to read than the metal ones, and I guess you could paint the raised areas for even better visibility. We're working on cooking with the 10 year old, he likes to eat, so it's motivation!

Popular posts from this blog

Printable Family Chore Chart

Learning the 10 Commandments

Explaining Baptism to Kids